October is National Home Security Month (NHSM). The programme, sponsored by Yale, is designed to encourage greater home security by offering advice on different areas within and outside of, the home. The scheme started on 28th September and runs all through October.
The five weeks of security hints and tips are planned as follows:
- Week 1 – National Home Security Month: An introduction to the annual scheme and solutions for keeping your family, home and possessions safe.
- Week 2 – Lock it up! Helpful information regarding door and window locks will be on offer.
- Week 3 – Keep it protected: Different solutions will be offered regarding how to keep the valuables in your home safe.
- Week 4 – The great outdoors: How to ensure that the outside of your home and all outbuildings are as secure as possible.
- Week 5 – Smart Home Security: This year’s campaign will conclude with smart home security and a look at the latest security gadgets available to protect your home.
The Managing Director of Yale Retail UK gives an overview of the sentiments behind National Home Security Month here. He talks about crime prevention and the fact that if your home has many visible deterrents to a potential burglar, then a property that appears to be an easier option may well be targeted instead. He briefly discusses the need to ensure that your locks on main entrance and exit doors must meet your home insurance policy requirements. He also states that fitting a burglar alarm can prevent your home from being burgled by 60%.
The NHSM are well supported by many of the big names in the security sector. Companies such as Screwfix, Union – Assa Abloy, Mul-T-Lock and of course Yale are all supporting the event, to name but a few. Members of the public and trades persons alike, can keep up to date with the news from the scheme on the NHSM facebook and Twitter pages. Alternatively, you can subscribe directly from the NHSM site. To do so, you need to follow one of three links which are categorized as follows: Charities, Trade & Retailers and the General Public.
The National Home Security Month, in addition to the annual October programme, do provide year round security advice in their blog. Here you can find heaps of helpful information regarding home security and beyond. From garden security to securing your mail, Summer security to ensuring your caravan is as protected as possible, there is a vast array of useful hints and tips. To find out more about the NHSM, follow the link to their ‘about page‘.